Explore the underwater world of the UK’s first National Marine Park in Plymouth with the help of our Ocean Discovery Rangers.
The OCT Snorkel Academy offers the chance to join our amazing team of Ocean Conservationists at multiple locations around the National Marine Park. Whether a beginner or seeking a summer ocean adventure, there’s something for everyone. Join us for limited-edition Snorkel Safari badges and unforgettable memories.
Our Rangers are all BSAC or PADI certified snorkel instructors, who are also marine biologists! This means you can feel both safe and educated in the sea! For all sessions, wetsuits and snorkel equipment will be provided. Please let us know at the time of booking what sizes you require.
Snorkel Safari – Mount batten
For those that have snorkelled before or are confident sea swimmers, join our Snorkel Safaris at Mount Batten—featuring rock shore habitat, kelp meadows, and flooded rockpools!
Brush up on snorkelling basics, then dive into the open sea to encounter incredible marine life. From blennies to jellyfish, eels to oystercatchers, Mount Batten offers a diverse range of animals and habitats to explore. *
Beginner Snorkelling – Firestone Bay
Gain confidence in Firestone’s tidal pool before venturing into the sea. Practice with the equipment, acclimate to seawater, and explore without dealing with ocean currents.
When everyone feels ready, we’ll venture into Firestone Bay’s seagrass meadows and kelp forests, home to spider crabs, pollack, sticklebacks, and sea bass! *
Accessible Snorkelling – Firestone Bay
Tailored for those with mobility or sensory issues, our accessible snorkel sessions prioritize comfort and a gentle introduction to the sea by starting off in firestone bays tidal pool.
With reduced capacity, our Ocean Discovery Rangers offer close support. The relaxed schedule allows ample time for gearing up and beach access. Participants have the flexibility to skip equipment they’re uncomfortable with. *
|Snorkel Safari (Ages 12+)
|Mount Batten Beach, PL9 9SJ
|Beginner Snorkelling (Ages 8+)
|Firestone Bay, PL1 3QR
|Accessible Snorkelling (Ages 8+)
|Firestone Bay, PL1 3QR
*Terms and Conditions:
- Age 8+ (ages 8-11 need to be accompanied by a paying adult in the water on a two to one ratio).
- Ages 12-16 need to have an adult present at the sessions but not in the water.
- All participants must sign this wavier form before joining the session, Parents or Guardians must sign the waivers on behalf of all minors entering the water.
- All participants must be confident swimmers, being able to swim 25m unassisted.
- Starts times are strictly adhered to. If you arrive late, you will not be permitted to join the session as you will have missed important safety announcements and training.