29 December 2021
After a year of highs and lows, we’d thought we’d put together a look back on some moments of positivity from our charity. Are you ready for some Ocean optimism to lead us into 2022? Take a look at some of the standouts moments that you’ve helped support.
- Seeds the day!
- We packed thousands of seagrass seed bags as part of the EU LIFE ReMEDIES project. We deployed them into Plymouth Sound National Marine Park. More for next year!
- Clean up our act
- We cleaned up over 22 km of coast, collecting a total of 352 kg rubbish collected for the Preventing Plastic Pollution Project. That’s a whopping 10,486 plastic items picked up!
- Water we waiting for
- Over 150,000 people visited our Aquarium in Plymouth to connect with the wonders of the Ocean.
- Making waves
- We helped organise the We Are Ocean summit with over 150 ocean conservation organisations coming together to share their love for the Ocean
- Just the Be-Gin-ing
- Whale I never
- We supported SailGP in their Plymouth event. We led education sessions, engagement workshops and even did carried out marine mammal spotting (with a big visitor coming to watch the race!).
- New real-oceanships
- We’ve brought on more amazing and passionate Ocean advocates to share our news, events and amplify our messages.
- Putting the ‘sea’ in ‘research’
- We’ve supported four student research projects, looking into the future of our Ocean.
- Plenty mooring where that came from
- We installed 10 eco moorings in the South West. These are to be used to avoid damaging seagrass beds, and we’ve got more planned for next year too!
- As Ocean Optimists we’ve Glas-gow half full!
- We attended COP26 to connect the dots between Ocean and climate. We were only one of a few UK charities asked to attend, and wanted to make sure the Ocean was involved wherever possible.
- Using the Ocean as the hook for schools
- We inspired over 8,000 school children engaging them our Ocean education programme, working with over 500 teachers to bring the Ocean to their lessons.
- Wet, wet, wet
- We provided thousands of people with immersive Ocean experiences, with over 250 of them diving in and getting beneath the waves.
- People power
- Alongside Defra, we carried out the world’s largest ocean literacy survey with 8440 people getting involved.
- Think (Ocean) Before you speak!
- We launched our #thinkocean challenge to empower everyone to take action for the Ocean with thousands of people taking part.
- Team work makes the Bream work
- We co-wrote an Ocean Recovery Motion which has been declared in city councils across the UK
- We’re NMPositive about the future!
- We played a key role in winning Heritage Horizons funding for the UK’s first National Marine Park
- Sea-ing is believing
- And even spotted a rare seahorse in the park!
More for 2022
If you’d like to keep up to date with our charity, hear about our work around the world, and enjoy a good old fashioned pun or two, then please consider signing up to our newsletter below.