9 June 2020
Did you know that the Ocean supports all life on Earth – and that we quite literally need it to survive? We’ve put together ten of the biggest reasons the Ocean is vital in all of our lives – and why it’s so important that we look after it.
- It provides half of the oxygen we breathe: The Ocean produces over half of the world’s oxygen and absorbs 50 times more carbon dioxide than our atmosphere. Every second breathe you take essentially comes from the Ocean.
- It regulates the climate: The Ocean covers 71% percent of the Earth’s surface, and transports heat from the equator to the poles, regulating our climate and weather patterns.
- It facilitates transportation: A huge percentage of global trade involves some form of marine transportation.
- It provides opportunities for recreation: From fishing to boating to kayaking and whale watching, the ocean provides us with many unique activities.
- It offers economic benefits: The global Ocean economy produces billions of pounds worth of goods and services and Ocean-dependant businesses employ millions of people.
- It supplies us with food: The Ocean provides more than just seafood; ingredients from the sea are found in surprising foods such as peanut butter and soy milk.
- It helps us to make medicine: Many medicinal products come from the ocean, including ingredients that help fight cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, and heart disease.
We are all connected to the Ocean, just as it is connected to us. It impacts our daily lives in such a multitude of ways – just as the small decisions we make impact upon it.
What one daily habit will you change today to help our Ocean thrive?